Irregular bleeding can be scary, especially if you don’t know what is causing it. Irregular bleeding can be occasional, or it can last for months, or even years. Our OBGYN doctor can help.
What You Need To Know About Irregular Bleeding
Irregular bleeding during your period can be a common problem, especially when you first begin menstruating. Early or late periods are common for girls and young women and aren’t always a sign of a medical issue. The regular length of a period is about 28 days.
Irregular bleeding can be caused by:
- Puberty, pregnancy, or menopause
- Contraceptives including the pill or an intrauterine device
- Extreme weight fluctuations, excessive exercise, or stress
- Medical conditions including thyroid issues, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, or polycystic ovary syndrome
So, when should you visit our OBGYN about irregular bleeding? You should see our OBGYN doctor if:
- Your periods suddenly become irregular and you are under age 45
- Your periods are more frequent than 21 days
- Your periods are less frequent than 35 days
- Your periods last longer than 7 days
- You have severe abdominal pain and heavy bleeding with your periods
- You are trying to have a baby, but you have irregular periods
Your OBGYN doctor will determine the cause of your irregular bleeding, and treatment will vary, depending on the cause. Your OBGYN doctor may recommend:
- Medication to treat an underlying condition like a thyroid problem
- Birth control to regulate periods and reduce irregular bleeding
- Losing weight, if irregular bleeding is due to being overweight
- Surgical therapy if irregular bleeding is caused by fibroids or endometriosis
Irregular bleeding may be occasional and nothing to worry about. It could also be a sign of a serious medical condition which needs to be treated. Your OBGYN doctor is an expert and can help you get control of irregular bleeding.
Want To Know More?
To learn more about the causes and treatment of irregular bleeding, talk with an expert. Call our OBGYN doctor today.